Monash Student Athlete Profile: Amanda Fung

Amanda Fung



SPORT: Ultimate Frisbee

POSITION: Handler

NUMBER: 92

FACULTY: Law/Commerce

NICKNAME: Mandy/Wendy

PROUDEST SPORTING ACHIEVEMENT TO DATE: It’s a toss up between two recent tournaments I competed at. Either winning the US Open with Ellipsis Ultimate and having our semi-final and final broadcast on ESPN 3 and making it into a semi-final at the U23 World Ultimate Championships in London this year.

HOW MANY AUG’s HAVE YOU COMPETED IN? 6!

WHEN DID YOU START PLAYING? 2007

WHAT GOT YOU STARTED PLAYING? My friendship group played every sport we could at high school. My best friend’s older sister was at university at the time and had discovered ultimate. So it was only natural that we started playing ultimate as well, trekking into the city for Friday afternoon university trainings, obligatory bubble tea pit stop on the way. It was an adventure! In the first year we started playing we played at the Australian Youth Ultimate Championships and competed for Victoria.

Once I started university in 2010 it was even easier to get involved in ultimate from university games to playing for elite clubs and competing internationally.

UNDERDOG OR FAVOURITE: Underdog for sure. Less expectations and more potential glory!

WHEN I’M NOT AT UNI, COMPETING OR TRAINING I AM…Working at a law firm earning my holiday fund!


Popular Posts